We summarise the basic concepts of classical physics and highlight some of its failures.
After that, we consider the basic equations of quantum mechanics and their applications to
simple model systems, explaining fundamental properties of atoms, molecules and solids.
We also discuss technical applications such as quantum dots or the quantum computer.
- Hamiltonian formulation of mechanics
- Planck's law of thermal radiation and quantum of action
- Light quanta and Bohr atomic model
- Schrödinger equation
- Correspondence Principle
- Angular momentum and spin
- Application to simple model systems
- Technical applications